Cr McArthur said he was both honoured and humbled to be returned to the position of MAV President, and was pleased to see a female-majority Board had been elected.
“I congratulate and look forward to working alongside my five returned and seven new Board colleagues to represent local government across Victoria in a responsible, inclusive and ethical manner.
“As a sector we are facing both significant challenges and opportunities. There is a strong reform agenda, a tough economic climate and we must resist more responsibilities being imposed on councils from other governments.
“The coming two years are also a critical time for our sector to improve its financial sustainability and deliver self-reforms that can boost performance, efficiency and cost savings. We cannot afford to lose momentum.
“I am committed to working constructively with other levels of government to deliver tangible solutions to both the ongoing and emerging challenges facing local councils and their communities,” he said.
Victorian councils also voted to elect 12 regional MAV Board members. Successful candidates from the seven contested Board regions were:
- Cr Peter Lockwood, Knox City Council (metro east region – new Board member)
- Cr Angela Altair, Hobsons Bay City Council (metro west region – new Board member)
- Cr Jackie Fristacky, Yarra City Council (metro central region – new Board member)
- Cr Mary Lalios, Whittlesea City Council (Interface region – returned Board member)
- Cr Debra Swan, Strathbogie Shire Council (rural north east region – new Board member)
- Cr Gary Norton, Swan Hill Rural City Council (rural north west region – new Board member)
- Cr Jane Rowe, East Gippsland Shire Council (Gippsland region – new Board member)
They will join a further five regional MAV Board members elected unopposed last month:
- Cr Coral Ross, Boroondara City Council (metro south east region – returned Board member)
- Cr Geoff Lake, Monash City Council (metro southern region – returned Board member)
- Cr Rod Fyffe, Greater Bendigo City Council (rural north central region – returned Board member)
- Cr David Clark, Pyrenees Shire Council (rural south central region – returned Board member)
- Cr Ruth Gstrein, Corangamite Shire Council (rural south west region – new Board member)
The MAV President is a popularly elected position decided by the 79 elected MAV Representatives who comprise State Council (the governing body of the MAV). Board members represent their regional grouping of councils and are elected by MAV Representatives from within their region.
- Ends -
Contact MAV President, Cr Bill McArthur on 0437 984 793 or MAV Communications on 9667 5521.