Victorian councils receive funding of $6.1 billion annually to provide more than 100 different services to the communities they represent.
Council services include:
- environment services such as greenhouse gas mitigation, and natural resource and coastal management
- health services such as public health and food regulations
- emergency management services such as response and recovery
- transport and infrastructure services such as roads, footpaths and cycle paths
- planning and building services such as land use planning, economic development and environmental conservation
- social and community services such as disability support, early childhood services, housing and public libraries