The deputy president's duties are to chair meetings or act in place of the president in the absence of the president or when requested to do so by the president. These duties are stated in clauses 29.3 and 29.4 of the Rules.
In addition to this, the Board has endorsed the following statements regarding the deputy president's role and responsibilities.
The role of the deputy president is to:
- ensure continuity of leadership at all times; the president, deputy president and CEO will communicate on issues and work as a team
- ensure Board members are advised of executive decisions on important issues at the first opportunity
- attend a range of meetings with councillors and MAV representatives in each of the twelve regions at least once a year
The deputy president's responsibilities are to:
- deputise for the president in the absence of the president or when requested by the president or CEO
- support the president in the leadership role
- perform promotion, public relations and other functions at the request of the president or the Board
- chair meetings convened by the MAV of their metropolitan or rural constituencies