Power to the People - Councillors as Stewards of Empowered Communities
- Event start date:
- Event start time:
- Event end time:
- Event end date:
This workshop explored the role and implications for councillors and council officers in moving from being experts to stewards and facilitators of empowered communities.
About the Workshop
This workshop will explore the role and implications for councillors and council officers in moving from being experts to stewards and facilitators of empowered communities. The flamboyant Gilbert Rochecouste from Village Well will share his twenty-five years of wisdom and practical, on-the-ground experience with over 1,000 communities.
This will be a fun, highly interactive, and inspiring day.
Gilbert Rochecouste is one of the world’s most recognised and leading placemakers and community engagement experts and will pass on the DNA and secrets of successful communities.
Who should attend?
This workshop is suitable for councillors, council officers, planners, enlightened developers, interested stakeholders and community members.
Explore a new story that puts people, place and planet first; that nourishes life, our communities and ecosystems; and where council are the facilitators and stewards.
The current review of the Local Government Act 1989 by the Victorian Government has community empowerment as one of its central themes.
The workshop will cover the following:
- The most simple and powerful community engagement techniques and tools that work time and time again
- Creating a YES culture within council
- Becoming a steward and facilitator of positive change
- The new regenerative model of community development
- The DNA of placemaking and great places
- Key placemaking and community engagement trends for 2018 and beyond
- What made Heyfield win the most sustainable and resilient community in Australia award
- How to engage the hard-to-get groups
- Successful case studies of rural and urban placemaking
- Steps to creating an empowered community.
Participants will be provided with access to all presentations and resources.