We work with local government to help the sector secure its financial future.
Our work involves advocating for the sector’s economic and financial needs and arguing for greater recognition of local government's role in a range of government funding programs.
We also work with our members to improve their financial autonomy.
As well as participating in the state government's budget planning process, we also research new and evolving financial issues.
Financial Assistance Grants and Rate Capping Taskforce
The MAV established a Financial Assistance Grants and Rate Capping Taskforce (FRCT) in response to the Federal Government's decisions on supporting financial grants and the State Government's policy on rate capping. See the FRCT campaign page for more details.
Guide for developing budget reports in local government
The Victorian city council model budget guide for the 2016-17 financial year has been released and is tailored for local government financial professionals.
It clarifies what information is mandatory or is considered best practice to include in budget reports. The guide also reflects rate capping legislation introduced by the Victorian Government, which will apply for the first time in the 2016-17 financial year.
The resources have been produced by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand with sponsorship from the MAV.
The prepared documents include the full version in PDF and Microsoft Office templates without commentary:
Rates Capping Forum
This forum was held in November 2015. Presentations from the event are available below.
- Amalgamation is not the path to real reform - Joseph Drew, Research Fellow In Local Government, UNE Business School, University Of New England (PowerPoint - 2.10MB)
- Brief overview of alternatives to amalgamation - Dr Joseph Drew (Word - 24.8KB)
- Fair Go Rates System - Dr Ron Ben-David, Chair, Essential Services Commission (PowerPoint - 152KB)
- Integrating service planning with asset management - Ian Mann, Director, CT Management Group (PowerPoint - 2.15MB)
- It's time for procurement - Chris Newman, Director, ArcBlue Consulting (PowerPoint - 2.59MB)
- Leaders in LG resource sharing: examples from interstate - Max Hardy for the Hunter Councils (PowerPoint - 15.8MB)
- Less Talk, More Action - Tim Tamlin, CEO, South Gippsland Shire Council (PowerPoint - 10.6MB)
- Linking councils and communities in the digital age - Matthew Gordon, Co-Founder, OurSay (PowerPoint - 7.49MB)
- Rate capping and the role of IT - Peter Barnett, Business Development Executive, Telstra Global Enterprise & Services Australia (PowerPoint - 398KB)
- Risk culture: Building resilience from within - Jacinthe A Galpin, Chief Risk And Audit Officer, Department of Justice & Regulation (PowerPoint - 979KB)