We support the development, adoption and implementation of high-quality governance processes, protocols, conduct and relationships across the local government sector.
Our work in this area includes, providing sector-wide advice on governance issues and assisting individual councils on a broad range of internal and external governance matters.
Read about the MAV policy on candidature of councillors in state or federal elections 2014 (Word - 93.3KB).
Local Government (Improved Governance) Bill
The Local Government (Improved Governance) Bill passed through parliament last week and received assent on 27 October.
The Minister has advised that the provisions of the Act will be progressively proclaimed over the next few months.
Changes to the Local Government Act will include:
- swearing in of councillors requiring a declaration that they will abide by the Councillor Code of Conduct
- a prohibition on ward funding
- penalties for councillors improperly directing or influencing council staff
- establishment of a position of Principal Councillor Conduct Registrar to receive and deal with applications for a Councillor Conduct Panel (CCP), with the MAV ceasing to be involved in this process
- changes to CCP arrangements in relation to hearings and appeals.
Further advice regarding implementation of the new provisions will be provided to the sector by the MAV in due course.
Local Government Electoral Review
A three member independent panel formed a Local Government Electoral Review Panel in 2013 to review the local government election process.
It released a report in September 2014, proposing 55 recommendations to strengthen local electoral processes.
We responded to the review with a submission (Word - 106KB) in October.
Governance group on Yammer
Our Governance Group on Yammer is a forum for council officers to share ideas and collaborate on issues concerning council governance. Governance managers are welcome to join.