We represent and advise councils in the areas of planning and building, including urban and rural planning, and planning systems improvement.
Our STEP Planning Process Improvement Program assists councils to improve their planning processes.
Planning and building news
- Secured a long-awaited review of planning fees, and worked with the Department and 19 member councils on detailed costs to inform the Regulatory Impact Statement. As a result of our work, the RIS is proposing an option with full cost recovery for many planning fees as well as annual fee indexation, which together could deliver an estimated $40 million annual increase in fees to councils.
- Formed a technical working group of member councils to provide feedback on the State's new system of standard levies for infrastructure contributions, resulting in resolution of a majority of issues identified by group members.
- Advocated for funding to assist councils to undertake strategic land use planning, resulting in $4.2 million allocated in the 2016 State Budget.
- The final report of the Federal Parliament's Select Committee Inquiry on Wind Turbines supported MAV's recommendation for wind farm noise monitoring and compliance requirements to be transferred to State-based Environmental Protection Authorities; and the Ministerial Advisory Committee on the independent EPA Victoria Review also noted the importance of EPA's technical role in assessing wind farm noise.
- The MAV and Association of Bayside Municipalities secured $800,000 from the State to assist Port Phillip Bay councils to respond and adapt to coastal climate change, including developing a framework and practical responses for managing coastal hazards.