Our partnership agreement with the Department of Education and Training (DET), formerly the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD), acknowledges councils’ role in early childhood education and care.
It also recognises the collaborative relationship between DET and councils in the planning, development and provision of education and early childhood education and care services. It further recognises the complimentary role played by both parties in planning, funding and delivering services.
Our policy adviser works to deliver the outcomes and obligations detailed under the partnership agreement. This includes:
- representing the sector on and facilitating a range of early years advisory groups and forums
- providing local government input into policy frameworks and initiatives around early childhood education and care
- engaging in ongoing discussion on matters relating to early years
- reporting on key strategic projects and outcomes
- promoting and strengthening our capacity and the proactive role of Victorian councils regarding early years
MAV – DEECD Early Childhood and School Education Group
Under the MAV-DEECD partnership, we convene a formal meeting of representative councils, MAV and DET every two months.
The meetings provide a regular forum for attendees to discuss key strategic issues and policy around the early childhood sector.