Our diversity policy adviser:
- addresses sectoral local government issues to enable increased responsiveness to cultural diversity
- supports strategic and social planning to inform local government diversity policy and service development
- develops partnerships and relationships between local government and ethnic community sectors
- assists local government with advocacy to advance the multicultural affairs agenda
- networks with relevant peak bodies and committees
- supports and promotes the Victorian Local Government Multicultural Issues Network (VLGMIN)
- works closely with other levels of government on cultural diversity issues
This position is currently funded by the Victorian Government’s Department of Health and Human Services to work with councils on home and community care services.
Multicultural Issues eNetwork
We maintain an email distribution list for local government staff responsible for multicultural services and policy development. The eNetwork regularly disseminates information on new resources, upcoming forums and events, news and advice.
To join the eNetwork, email Bianca Nutt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Services and events
Opportunities for Partnerships Conference
This MAV local government multicultural development conference was held on Friday 12 September 2014 at Wyndham City Council's Werribee Civic Centre.
Find all presentations, keynote speaker Fatima Shama's video and other resources from the event on our Opportunities for Partnerships Conference page.
Localities Embracing and Accepting Diversity (LEAD)
LEAD was a pilot program to prevent discrimination and support cultural diversity within local communities and organisations.
The MAV was a LEAD Project implementing partner with VicHealth along with the City of Whittlesea, the City of Greater Shepparton and other organisations.
LEAD training for councils is still available from the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC). Contact Jane Lewis on 1300 891 848 or email Jane.Lewis@veohrc.vic.gov.au.
See VEOHRC's LEAD training 2013 presentation (Word - 1.51MB).
The federal government’s Translation and Interpreting Service (TIS) provides free interpreting services to local councils for many municipal services. For more information contact the TIS client liaison and promotions team on 1300 655 820 or at email@example.com.