Our diversity policy adviser:
- addresses sectoral local government issues to enable increased responsiveness to cultural diversity
- supports strategic and social planning to inform local government diversity policy and service development
- develops partnerships and relationships between local government and ethnic community sectors
- assists local government with advocacy to advance the multicultural affairs agenda
- networks with relevant peak bodies and committees
- supports and promotes the Victorian Local Government Multicultural Issues Network (VLGMIN)
- works closely with other levels of government on cultural diversity issues
This position is currently funded by the Victorian Government’s Department of Health and Human Services to work with councils on home and community care services.
Multicultural Issues eNetwork
We maintain an email distribution list for local government staff responsible for multicultural services and policy development. The eNetwork regularly disseminates information on new resources, upcoming forums and events, news and advice.
To join the eNetwork, email Bianca Nutt at email@example.com.
Racism. It stops with me.
We formally signed up to the Australian Human Rights Commission campaign Racism. It Stops With Me. The campaign aims to promote cultural awareness and a clear understanding in the Australian community of what racism is, and how it can be prevented and reduced.
Racism locks people out of social and economic opportunities, entrenching disadvantage. It adds unnecessary costs to our workplaces and our economy and it works against our goal of guilding a fair, inclusive community.
Many Victorian councils have also joined the campaign.
The federal government's Translation and Interpreting Service (TIS) provides free interpreting services to local councils for many municipal services. For more information contact the TIS client liaison and promotions team on 1300 655 820 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity Policy Adviser
03 9667 5580