Councillor conduct is dealt with in Division 1A of Part 4 of the Local Government Act 1989.
The provisions cover:
- the primary principle of councillor conduct
- general councillor conduct principles
- the Councillor Code of Conduct
- misuse of position
- improper direction and improper influence
- dealing with confidential information
Division 1AB of Part 4 deals with the internal resolution procedure and sanctions for a breach of the Councillor Code of Conduct. Divisions 1B, 1C and 1D deal with councillor conduct panels.
Mediators & arbiters
To support councils, we have established a short list of mediators and arbiters.
These independent mediators and arbiters can help resolve issues between councillors. An arbiter may be required to deal with an application made under a Councillor Code of Conduct.
Please contact us at (03) 9667 5528 to request a copy of the list.