President and Board election results
City of Whittlesea Councillor Mary Lalios is the first woman to be popularly elected as MAV President for a full two-year term.
Cr Lalios has previously served as MAV Deputy President (Metropolitan) and an Australian Local Government Association Board member, and has been a councillor for 12 years including three terms as mayor.
Cr Lalios said she would bring a strong, passionate voice in her role as MAV President.
“I plan to visit every municipality to genuinely engage with councils, so that we have one clear voice.
“With the Local Government Act and MAV Act being reviewed concurrently, and with rate capping and cost shifting squeezing us hard, I will use my leadership experience to fight for our needs.
“I’d like to congratulate all the board members, who I look forward to working with, and I also pay tribute to all of the outgoing board members.”
Cr Lalios joins 12 board members, including four new members:
- Cr Peter Perkins, Nillumbik Shire Council – Interface Region
- Cr Rohan Leppert, City of Melbourne – Metropolitan Central Region (uncontested)
- Cr Jami Klisaris, City of Stonnington – Metropolitan South East
- Cr Josh Gilligan, Wyndham City Council – Metropolitan West Region
Eight board members were re-elected:
- Cr Geoff Lake, City of Monash – Metropolitan Southern Region (uncontested)
- Cr Ronald Janas, Alpine Shire Council – Rural North East Region (uncontested)
- Cr Ruth Gstrein, Corangamite Shire Council – Rural South West Region (uncontested)
- Cr David Clark, Pyrenees Shire Council – Rural South Central Region
- Cr Rod Fyffe, City of Greater Bendigo – Rural North Central Region
- Cr Gary Norton, Swan Hill Rural City Council – Rural North West Region
- Cr Malcolm Hole, Wellington Shire Council – Rural Gippsland Region
- Cr Tom Melican, Banyule City Council – Metropolitan East Region
The MAV President is a popularly elected position decided by MAV Representatives who comprise State Council (the governing body of the MAV). Board Members represent their regional grouping of councils and are elected by MAV Representatives from within their region.
– Ends –
Contact MAV President Cr Mary Lalios on 0447 189 409 or MAV Communications on 9667 5521.