Local government recognised in Australia Day Honours List
We would like to offer our sincere congratulations to the individuals recognised in the Australia Day 2020 Honours List for their work in Victorian local government as well as their numerous other endeavours.
The list below includes individuals who are current and former Councillors, Mayors and CEOs.
- Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia
- Ms Elaine Carbines – CEO G21 Geelong Region Alliance
- Mrs Rae Kingsbury – Councillor City of Darebin
- Mr Michael Malouf – CEO Melbourne City Council, Greater Geelong City Council, City of Wyndham, Melton City Council & Werribee City Council
- Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division
- Cr Pamela Clarke – Councillor Horsham Rural City Council
- Ms Beth Davidson – Councillor Surf Coast Shire Council
- Cr Robert Flack – Councillor City of Greater Bendigo
- Ms Colleen Furlanetto – Councillor Strathbogie Shire Council
- Mr William Goodrem – Councillor Mornington Peninsula Shire Council & Shire of Flinders
- Ms Yvonne Jennings – Councillor Swan Hill Rural City Council
- Ms Diane Lopez – Councillor City of Brighton (now Bayside City Council)
- Mr Naim Melhelm – Councillor City of Greater Dandenong
- Mr Ian Penny – Councillor Warracknabeal Shire Council (now Yarriambiack Shire Council)
- Mr Graeme Williams – Councillor Strathbogie Shire Council
- Public Service Medal (PSM)
- Ms Noelene Duff – CEO City of Whitehorse
- Australian Police Medal (APM)
- Leading Senior Constable Patrick Storer – Councillor Strathbogie Shire Council
In Victoria, Recognition Matters was launched in early 2019 after consultation with a number of stakeholders including the MAV. The goal of the campaign is to increase the number of women honourees, and this year Victoria had a total of 42.9 per cent women honourees, up from 34.7 per cent last year.
Nationally there was the highest ever percentage of women recipients in the General Division of the Order of Australia – 41.6 per cent. We hope these records can continue to be broken as we take strides towards true gender equality.
The full list of recipients can be viewed online.