Councils' response to COVID-19
The Municipal Association of Victoria and Victoria's 79 councils are working hard to support their communities through the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Alongside their own rapid adjustment to the Victorian Government’s Emergency Directions, councils have continued to provide essential services necessary for the health, amenity and safety of their communities.
These snapshots highlight the creative and responsive role Councils are playing to support their local businesses and the broader community through the COVID-19 emergency:
- Fact Sheet Summary - Councils supporting their communities during COVID-19 (PDF - 191KB) (May 2020)
- Victorian Local Government COVID-19 initiatives update May 2020 (PDF - 1.3MB) (May 2020)
COVID-19 Outdoor Dining Activation
As COVID-19 restrictions ease across Victoria, councils are working with their local hospitality businesses to activate public outdoor opportunities. This activity is supported by the Victorian Government through its Outdoor Eating and Entertainment initiative.
Visit our Hospitality Outdoor Activation page for useful links and information for how councils are assisting businesses and communities expand outdoor dining and drinking opportunities.
- How councils are helping to feed people who don’t know where their next meal is coming from (2 Jul 2020)
- Treasurer leaves council staff high and dry (6 May 2020)
- Councils and COVID-19 (30 Apr 2020)
- MAV welcomes legislative changes to enable councils to meet electronically (23 Apr 2020)
- COVID-19 update for MAV stakeholders (16 Apr 2020)
- How councils are supporting communities through coronavirus (6 Apr 2020)
- Council meeting changes needed to protect community (24 Mar 2020)
- Delivery curfews are not impacting supermarket stock (20 Mar 2020)
This page was last updated on 10 Mar 2021 3:46pm
Engage with us:
For more information about Victorian Councils’ response to COVID-19, contact the MAV communications team: