Municipal public health planning
Local government plays a key role in creating the environment for communities to prosper and enjoy improved health and wellbeing.
We support the work that councils undertake in building, promoting and maintaining healthy communities.
Councils are required to prepare a municipal public health and wellbeing plan every four years (following the general council elections). Council public health and wellbeing plans must have regard to the State public health and wellbeing plan 2019–2023.
2021-2025 planning cycle
We work with State government, health promotion agencies and local government to develop and promote a range of advice and resources for health and social planners.
- Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Planning 2021–2025: Advice Note 1 - Aug 2020 (PDF - 720KB)
- Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Planning 2021–2025: Advice Note 2: Applying for an Exemption from Producing a Standalone Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan - Aug 2021 (PDF - 257KB)
- Family violence and municipal public health and wellbeing planning - Guidance for local government (2017).
- Tackling climate change and its impacts on health through municipal public health and wellbeing planning: Guidance for local government, 2020
- MPHWP Planning Guide - Including health protection matters into MPHW Plans (Dec 2020) (PDF - 149KB)
- VicHealth COVID19 Coronavirus Wellbeing Impact Study
- VicHealth Indicators Survey
- Victorian Population Health Survey
- Local Government areas report on population diversity
- Municipal public health and wellbeing planning briefing for councillors and executive (PowerPoint - 8MB)
- Council planning typology (PNG - 200KB)
Current municipal public health and wellbeing plans
See all Victorian councils’ 2017-2021 health and wellbeing plans.
Past planning cycle action guides and planning tools
- Guide to municipal public health & wellbeing planning
- Including public health & wellbeing matters in the council plan or strategic plan
- Leading the way: councils creating healthier communities
- Municipal public health & wellbeing planning: having regard to climate change
- Practical guide to conducting annual reviews of municipal public health & wellbeing plans
- VicHealth local government action guides.
Engage with us
For more information about our Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing policy work, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org