DET MAV Partnership Agreement
On 30 March 2018, the Secretary of the Department of Education and Training and the Chief Executive Officer of Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), signed a new DET MAV Partnership Agreement (the agreement).
The agreement builds on mutual support and collaboration in order to improve outcomes for children, young people and their families, to help ensure that every Victorian is given the best learning and development experience, to make our state smarter, fairer and a more prosperous place. It recognises the collaborative relationship between the Department and councils in the planning, development and provision of initiatives, infrastructure and services across early childhood, schools, TAFE and training.
The agreement provides a formal set of high-level principles to guide the partnership between the Department and the MAV in its representation of local councils, committing both parties to:
- mutual understanding and respect of mandates and responsibilities
- transparency of financial relations, subject to relevant legislation and policies
- mutual support in representations to the Commonwealth
- awareness of synergies between DET, the MAV and councils
- sustaining and improving outcomes for children and families in all communities
- fostering of opportunities to work collaboratively, and
- transparent and timely communication and consultation.
Action plans are developed annually under the Partnership Agreement on a financial year basis. These are reviewed and updated throughout the year.
Achievements to date include:
- Early Years Compact: a compact between DET, DHHS and local government (represented by MAV) 2017-2027 Supporting Children and Families in the Early Years was signed on 28 April 2017.
- Review of the Early Childhood Agreement for Children in Out of Home Care and subsequent improvements including the confirmation of Local Government positions to support the Agreement, and weekly notification of data
- Development of the new MCH Memorandum of Understanting. Download the Maternal and Child Health Memorandum of Understanding (PDF - 3.13MB)
- Joint advocacy on Universal Access to support continued Commonwealth funding for 15 hours of kindergarten funding
- Representation on a variety of the Department’s governance groups including:
- Victorian Children’s Council
- DET Coleman Foundation Partnership Committee
- Early Years Compact Board and Compact Steering Group
- Marrung Central Governance Board
- New Technical Schools State-wide Policy Implementation Panel,
- Maternal and Child Health Expert Reference Group
- Children and Youth Implementation Working Group
- Early Childhood Development Advisory Group.