We work closely with other levels of government to establish productive partnerships where local government has a shared service delivery responsibility.
We often negotiate intergovernmental agreements with relevant departments to strengthen the partnership approach and establish clear roles and responsibilities.
All agreements signed by the MAV are on behalf of Victorian councils – after first seeking input and feedback from the local government sector.
Key agreements negotiated by MAV
The Victorian state-local government agreement gives effect in Victoria to the national intergovernmental agreement on cost shifting.
The agreement strengthens state – local government relations by formally committing to principles and guidelines that give greater clarity to roles, responsibilities and financial arrangements.
- Victorian State Local Government Agreement signed by Premier & MAV President, 2014 (PDF - 492KB)
- Victorian State-Local Government Agreement Position Paper, March 2014 (Word - 102KB)
State Departmental agreements
- Partnership Protocol between Department of Human Services, Department of Health and the Municipal Association of Victoria 2010 (PDF - 308KB)
- DET MAV Partnership Agreement 2018-2023
- Supporting Children and Families in the Early Years: A Compact between DET, DHHS and Local Government (represented by MAV) 2017-2027 (Word - 172KB)
- Memorandum of Understanding between Department of Education and Training and Municipal Association of Victoria in relation to the Maternal and Child Health Service 2017 - 2020 (PDF - 3.54MB)
- Partnership Agreement between Creative Victoria and MAV 2016 - 2020 (PDF - 495KB)
- Partnership Agreement 2014-18: Metropolitan Planning Authority and MAV (PDF - 3.79MB)
Commonwealth, state and local government agreement
- Tripartite Statement of Intent on Aged Care and Disability Services - signed by Federal and State Ministers and MAV President, March 2017 (PDF - 530KB)