Transport & infrastructure
We represent Victorian councils, and advocate on their behalf, across a variety of important transport and infrastructure priorities. We are currently focused on:
- Council asset management
- Sustainable funding for local streets, roads and infrastructure
- Active transport
- Supporting innovative technologies and approaches to network management
- Road safety
MAV Transport Policy Statement
Infrastructure pressures survey results
In late 2022 we surveyed councils on the pressures they are facing in delivering infrastructure projects. The MAV infrastructure pressures summary report - Nov 2022 (PDF - 340KB) is the summary report of our findings.
We found that costs have rapidly risen and that responses to tender have weakened.
The pressures are contributed to by external factors, including ambitious infrastructure programs being delivered by other levels of government, and are likely to get worse before they get better.
You can watch recordings of various active transport webinars we conducted in 2020 and 2021 at our Walking and Bike Riding Resource Hub.
Principal Freight Network Review - 17 August 2022
Presented in partnership with Freight Victoria, this webinar looked at current trends in managing urban freight and examined the potential use of urban freight consolidation centres to reduce impacts from increasing freight demands.
Principal Freight Network Webinar - 2 December 2020
You can watch the recording of the Principal Freight Network Review webinar held on 2 December 2020.
You can review the presentations from electric vehicle webinars conducted in 2018, including:
- Electric Vehicle Availability and Finances - Webinar - 15 Nov 2018 (PDF - 1.33MB)
- Electric Vehicle Availability and Finances - Q & A - 15 Nov 2018 (PDF - 437KB)
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure for Local Government Fleets - Webinar - 05 Dec 2018 (PDF - 4.36MB)
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure for Local Government Fleets - Q & A - 05 Dec 2018 (PDF - 720KB)
Our submissions cover many areas of transport policy and investment including:
- legislative reform
- infrastructure planning
- service delivery
Recent transport and infrastructure submissions include:
- Submission to the Vic Parliamentary Inquiry into the Impact of Road Safety Behaviours on Vulnerable Road Users - May 2023 (PDF - 177.2KB)
- Submission to Inquiry into the Implications of Severe Weather Events on the National Regional, Rural, and Remote Road Network - Feb 2023 (PDF - 345.4KB)
- Submission to Joint Select Committee on Road Safety - Inquiry into Road Safety - Aug 2021 (PDF - 287KB)
- Submission to National Road Safety Strategy 2021-2030 Consultation - Mar 2021 (PDF - 156KB)
- Submission to Infrastructure Victoria’s 30-year Infrastructure Strategy - Feb 2021 (PDF - 301KB)
- Submission to NTC Heavy Vehicle Law Review Consultation RIS - Nov 2020 (Word - 336KB)
- Letter to Department of Justice and Community Safety re Professional Engineers Registration Scheme - Oct 2020 (PDF - 761KB)
- Submission to Heavy Vehicle Road Reform consultation - Oct 2020 (PDF - 192KB)
- Letter to National Transport Commission - Personalised Mobility Devices consultation RIS - Dec 2019 (PDF - 170KB)
- MAV response to National Transport Commission barriers to the safe use of Motorised Mobility Devices discussion paper - Dec 2019 (Word - 75KB)
- Submission to National Transport Commission Easy Access to Suitable Routes issues - Aug 2019 (PDF - 394KB)
- Submission to New Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations - Jul 2019 (PDF - 330KB)
- Submission to Productivity Commission inquiry on National Transport Regulatory Reform - Jul 2019 (PDF - 726KB)
- Briefing on Infrastructure Victoria Advice to State Government on Automated and Electric Vehicle Infrastructure - Nov 2018 (PDF - 901KB)
- Submission for Infrastructure Victoria Evidence Base Report - Advice on Automated Vehicle and Electric Vehicle Infrastructure - Aug 2018 (PDF - 558.5KB)
- Submission to NTC Safety Assurance for Automated Driving Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) Consultation - Jul 2018 (PDF - 631.3KB)
- Inquiry into VicRoads Management of Country Roads - Dec 2017 (Word – 77KB)
- Changing driving laws to support automated vehicles - Discussion Paper - Dec 2017 (PDF – 156KB)
You can access all transport and infrastructure-related submissions on the MAV submissions page.
You can access briefing papers on the Transport and Infrastructure Members Only page.
Committees and working groups
We represent local government on a number of transport and infrastructure-related committees and working groups to advocate on behalf of councils, including:
- Roads and Transport Advisory Committee (Australian Local Government Association)
- Walking and Bike Riding Post COVID-19 Working Group
- Metropolitan Transport Forum.
We coordinate a range of transport and infrastructure committees and working groups to help inform our work and build capacity within the sector, including:
- MAV Freight Policy Working Group
- MAV Transport and Infrastructure Forums.
You can access further MAV resources on the Members Only page.
You can access active transport resources on our Walking and Bike Riding Resource Hub.
- Asset Management - Institute of Public Works Engineers
- Infrastructure Victoria
- Level Crossing Removal Authority
- Metro Tunnel Project
- Movement and Place in Victoria
- Public Transport Victoria
- Roads & transport (Vic Councils)
- Victorian Transport: Data and Research
- Victorian Bus Plan
Engage with us
Emma Fitzclarence Lake
Manager Infrastructure & Community Strengthening
(03) 9667 5532
Senior Policy Adviser, Emergency Management & Transport
(03) 9667 5555
Transport & Infrastructure Adviser
(03) 9667 5555
A meeting of the MAV State Council will be held on Friday 19 May 2023 at the Melbourne Town Hall.