Who we are
The Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) is a membership association and the legislated peak body for Victoria’s local councils.
The MAV was formed in 1879, with the Municipal Association Act 1907 officially recognising us as the voice of local government in Victoria.
We are a driving and influential force behind a strong and strategically positioned local government sector.
Our role is to:
- Represent and advocate local government interests
- Promote the role of local government
- Build the capacity of councils
- Facilitate effective networks
- Provide policy and strategic advice
- Support councillors
- Provide insurance and procurement services.
The success of the MAV stems from its people and we pride ourselves on having a quality team of staff and consultants to ensure our members’ needs are met.