Drugs & alcohol
We help councils to build safer and healthier communities by facilitating information and resource sharing activities, strengthening partnerships with other agencies, and advocating for program and policy initiatives in the areas of alcohol and other drugs.
A range of complex factors influence how safe individuals feel within their community. Improving the safety and liveability of communities is a shared responsibility for all levels of government and all community members.
Through our Local Government Gambling, Alcohol and Other Drugs Issues Forum (LGGAODIF) we work with councils to help minimise and prevent drug and alcohol-related harms within the community.
Local Government Gambling, Alcohol and Other Drugs Issues Forum
The Local Government Gambling, Alcohol and Other Drugs Issues Forum (LGGAODIF) is a network of professionals working for or with local government to prevent and reduce harms associated with gambling, alcohol and other drug use.
Under the influence: What local governments can do to reduce drug and alcohol harms in their communities (PDF - 533KB) - this publication investigates the role of local government in reducing drug and alcohol-related harms, and presents a summary of existing research and promising practice. For additional information, please visit the ADF website.
- Accessibility to alcohol outlets and alcohol consumption - Dec 2011
- The Alcohol Policy Coalition – develops and promotes evidence-based policy responses that are known to be effective in preventing and reducing alcohol related problems.
- Assessing cumulative impact of licensed premises - DPCD practice note (PDF - 194.7KB)
- Disaggregating relationships between off-premise alcohol outlets and trauma (PDF - 374.71KB)
- Heart Foundation and smoke free policies for outdoor areas - A resource kit for Victorian councils (PDF - 307KB)
- Hello Sunday Morning - a movement towards a better drinking culture
- Reducing the alcohol and drug toll: Victoria's plan 2013-2017
- Six steps to planning community alcohol and drug projects - Jun 2014 (PDF - 1.23MB)
- The role of alcohol in crime and disorder - Sep 2012 (PDF - 382KB)
Past event presentations
You can access alcohol and other drugs-related presentations from past events on our past events presentations page.
Engage With Us
For information about our alcohol and other drugs work, please contact:
(03) 9667 5512