The MAV acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the traditional custodians of the land, and we offer our respects to their Elders past and present.
We advocate for Victorian councils to strengthen relationships with their local Aboriginal communities and to encourage greater unity, knowledge, cultural awareness and respect for the first occupants of our land through their strong community links and local representation.
- Promoting the Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Employment Framework, which comprises a number of resources and advice for councils:
- Supporting reconciliation between councils and their local Aboriginal communities
- Leading and support actions in the Victorian Government’s Victorian Aboriginal Local Government Action Plan
- Encouraging councils to participate in reconciliation activities.
Current partnership projects
We work with Reconciliation Victoria to promote the Maggolee website developed in partnership with the Victorian Government.
- Indigenous resources at federal government level
- Victorian Aboriginal Affairs Framework 2018-2023
- Victorian Aboriginal Business Directory
- Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey.
Engage with us
For information about our work with indigenous communities, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The terms Aboriginal and Indigenous are used interchangeably through this website to describe Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people generally. "Koories" is a word commonly used to refer to Aboriginal people who come from south-eastern Australia. There is no strict way of spelling it, with Koori or Koorie commonly used.