Arts & creative industries
Local government investment in arts and culture delivers important economic, social and cultural outcomes across regional and metropolitan areas of Victoria.
In addition to infrastructure (including galleries, museums, performing arts venues, libraries), this investment supports festivals/events, public art projects and cultural programming, through to services relating to strategic planning, education, youth, heritage, diversity and Indigenous enterprise and career pathways.
Creative Victoria and MAV (on behalf of councils in Victoria), commit to placing the creative industries at the forefront of the State’s future growth, prosperity and liveability.
We have partnered with Creative Victoria to strengthen arts and culture. By working closely with councils, State Government departments and agencies, peak arts bodies and arts organisations, we will create opportunities for the creative industries at the local level.We are working to deliver the following:
- Backing creative talent – creating more opportunities to produce and present great work
- Strengthening the creative industries ecosystem – building capability and conditions for growth
- Delivering wider economic and social impacts – stimulating innovation and wider creative impact
- Increasing participation and access – engaging more Victorians in cultural and creative endeavour
- Building international engagement – expanding Victoria's impact and profile for global, audiences, visitors and markets.
The MAV works with local and state government departments and agencies, peak arts bodies and cultural organisations to develop resources for councils and their communities so they can better leverage the arts and maximise opportunities at the local level.
The MAV is currently surveying Victorian councils to determine their investment in to the creative sector. If your council has not yet contributed to this comprehensive audit of local government's financial contribution, infrastructure, personnel and programs, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Arts Access Victoria
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Australian Museums and Galleries Association Victoria (AMaGA Victoria)
- Creative Victoria
- Cultural Development Network
- Film Victoria
- Multicultural Arts Victoria
- Music Victoria
- A New Approach
- Public Galleries Association of Victoria
- Public Libraries Victoria
- The Push (Youth Music Organisation)
- Regional Arts Australia
- Regional Arts Victoria
- Small Business Victoria
- Theatre Network Australia
- Victorian Association of Performing Arts Centres
- Visit Victoria
- Writers Victoria
- Working Heritage.
Statistics and articles that demonstrate the value of the arts to economic, social and cultural prosperity:
- A view from middle Australia: Perceptions of arts, culture and creativity – A New Approach, 2020
- Live Music Toolkit for Local Government – Municipal Association of Victoria, 2018
- ARC Linkage: Economic and Cultural Value of Australian Live Music Exports – Australia Council for the Arts, 2015
- Arts & culture – Vic Councils
- The Arts Ripple Effect – Creative Victoria, 2012
- Australian Cultural and Creative Activity: A Population and Hotspot Analysis – Queensland University of Technology, Creative Industries Faculty, 2018 onwards
- The Big Picture: Public Expenditure on Artistic, Cultural and Creative Activity in Australia – A New Approach, 2019
- Connecting Australians: Results of the National Arts Participation Survey, June 2017 – Australia Council for the Arts, 2017
- Do you really expect to get paid? An economic study of professional artists in Australia – Australia Council for the Arts, 2010
- Domestic Arts Tourism: Connecting the Country – Australia Council for the Arts, 2020
- The Economics of Cultural Policy (PDF - 198KB) – Culture Counts, David Throsby 2010
- Electorate Profiles arts and culture in each of Australia’s 150 federal electorate divisions – Australia Council for the Arts, 2018
- Living Culture: First Nations Arts Participation and Wellbeing – Australia Council for the Arts, 2017
- The Role of Arts and Culture in Liveability and Competitiveness – Creative Victoria, 2008
- The Role of the Arts in Rebuilding Community – Creative Victoria, 2011
- Showcasing Creativity: Programming and Presenting First Nations Performing Arts – Australia Council for the Arts, 2016
- Transformative: Impacts of Culture and Creativity – A New Approach, 2019
Engage with us
We maintain an email distribution list for the local government sector and our partners interested in the arts and creative industries. The newsletter regularly disseminates information on new resources, upcoming forums, events, news, and funding opportunities.
If you would like to feature your council in the MAV Arts and Culture Update, share learnings and practice-based evidence with other councils by submitting case studies, collaborative models of practice, funding guidelines, panel terms of reference and innovative policies please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on our arts and culture policy work, please email: email@example.com