Victorian Local Government Multicultural Issues Network
We have a close partnership with the Victorian Local Government Multicultural Issues Network (VLGMIN); a network for Victorian council staff interested in multicultural services and policy development. For almost 20 years, the VLGMIN has met regularly to:
- share information, advice and contacts between councils
- advocate on issues affecting multicultural communities and councils ability to address them
- promote best practice
- coordinate regular forums
Joining the VLGMIN provides an opportunity to network with peers in similar roles across Victoria, share challenges and successes, help to find creative solutions and the chance to contribute to VLGMIN's regular forums.
The VLGMIN is coordinated by an Executive determined through an expression of interest process open to all VLGMIN members. The current executive team was established in November 2019 and comprises:
- Petr Svoboda, Social Policy and Projects Officer, Moreland City Council. Ph: 9240 2467
- Essan Dileri, Team Leader Diversity and Intercultural Development, Melton City Council. Ph: 9747 7206
- Catherine Hedley, Coordinator Diversity and Inclusion, City of Maribyrnong, Ph: 8688 0453
- Mandy Bathgate, Coordinator, Equity and Diversity, Darebin City Council, Ph.: 8470 8365
- Amber Cassidy, Multicultural Community Development Officer, Hobsons Bay City Council. Ph: 9932 1638
2019 VLGMIN Forum: Hope for Harmony
A forum responding to racism and promoting community harmony at the local government level.
On 26 September, the City of Bendigo hosted the 2019 VLGMIN forum at The Capital, a grand, National Trust-listed Victorian-era building, in Bendigo.
We know that racism and discrimination have harmful effects on people and their ability to fully participate in society. The 2019 VLGMIN Forum explored how far we have progressed in our combined efforts to understand and respond to racism at the individual, community and local government levels. The forum provided a safe environment where the local government sector was able to define the debilitating effects of racism and explore effective strategic action.
Engage with us
VLGMIN Mailing List
The Victorian Local Government Multicultural Issues Network (VLGMIN) aims to improve the access of culturally and linguistically diverse Victorians to the social, economic and political life where they live, and to enhance the inclusiveness of local government services. To receive invitations to upcoming meetings and VLGMIN news, submit your email address below or visit the VLGMIN List sign-up.
Meetings to be held 1.00pm – 3.30pm Tuesdays at offices of the MAV, Level 11, 60 Collins St Melbourne.
- 3 March
- 5 May
- 7 July
- 29 September
- 10 November
Local government staff only, no need to RSVP or give apologies.
If you have a topic or speaker you’d like considered for an agenda item contact Petr Svoboda, on 9240 2467.