Public health & safety
Councils have a wide range of responsibilities to ensure the public health and wellbeing of their communities. They also have specific roles in enforcing food safety, tobacco controls and smoking regulations.
When regulatory changes have implications for council resources and activities, we advocate on councils' behalf to other levels of government.
We advocate on behalf of local government to improve community health through public health regulations and plans. We work closely with the Victorian Government, councils and other stakeholders about the frameworks, case studies and guides which assist councils with their own health policies. We help councils fulfil their health regulation obligations through advocacy, project coordination and developing regulatory activities.
The public health services and areas we work closely with include:
- Community safety
- Food safety regulation
- Gambling prevention
- Municipal Public Health Planning
- Tobacco education and enforcement
- Drugs and alcohol prevention
Current projects and activities
- Community safety
- Food safety
- Municipal public health planning
- Smoking & tobacco
- Drugs & alcohol
- Skin cancer prevention
Submissions and briefs
We develop and form a collective local government sector view on a range of public health topics. These include:
- Royal Commission into Victoria's Mental Health System - Jul 2019 (PDF - 401KB)
- Gaming Machine Minimisation Measures Consultation Paper - Jan 2017 (PDF - 1.02MB)
- Review of Liquor Control Reform Act - Dec 2016 (Word - 191KB)
- MAV Submission to the Department of Health - Proposed outdoor smoking bans - 2013 (Word - 300KB)
To access all our public health-related submissions, visit the MAV submissions page.
Public Health and Wellbeing Act
To help councils implement the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, we worked with the Department of Health and Human Services to commission the development of a guide and toolkit when the Act was changed in 2008:
- Public Health and Wellbeing Act Guide (Word - 3.25MB) - assists environmental health officers in their day-to-day investigation and enforcement activities
- Public Health and Wellbeing Toolkit (Word - 782KB) - helps governance officers and managers to delegate council powers, appoint and authorise environmental health officers and prepare and approve new registration forms.
Engage with us
Our monthly Human Services Bulletins feature health and safety updates.
For more information about our public health policy work, contact:
Public Health and Wellbeing Act, food safety regulation and tobacco control
(03) 9667 5520
Community safety, gambling, municipal public health planning, drugs and alcohol
(03) 9667 5512